”Natural childbirth isn’t when you do nothing to prepare for the birth; on the contrary, it only happens when you do many things to prepare.” ~ Dawn Freeman
“I usually claim that pregnant women should not read books about pregnancy and birth. Their time is too precious. They should, rather, watch the moon and sing to their baby in the womb”. ~Michel Odent, M.D.
Please feel free to make use of the lending library that Birthways Family Birth Center has available for you! It is a great resource. In addition, here are some that you may borrow from me – just ask if you’re interested in any of these so I can bring them to our next class. If you’re looking for another, let me know – I may well have that too!
Pregnancy & Birth Books:
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin*
- Husband-Coached Childbirth by Robert Bradley, M.D.
- Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon*
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- The Pregnancy Book by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.
- The Birth Book by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.
- Active Birth by Janet Balaskas*
- Having a Baby, Naturally by Peggy O’Mara
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer*
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin*
- Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper, R.N.
- Birthing From Within by Pam England*
- The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices by Aviva Jill Romm, M.D.*
- The Expectant Father by Armin Brott & Jennifer Ash
- Metabolic Toxemia of Late Pregnancy by Thomas Brewer, M.D.
- Obstetrics Illustrated by Kevin Hanretty
- After the Baby’s Birth: A Woman’s Way to Wellness by Robin Lim
- The Secret Life of the Unborn Child by Thomas Verny, M.D.
- Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley and Ann Kepler
- The Complete Organic Pregnancy by Deirdre Dolan & Alexandra Zissu
- The Doula Book by Marshall Klaus, M.D., John Kennell, M.D. and Phyllis Klaus
- Natural Pregnancy by Janet Balaskas
- HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie Mongan*
- Get Through Childbirth in One Piece: How to Prevent Episiotomies & Tearing by Elizabeth Bruce
- Emergency Childbirth: A Manual by Gregory J. White, M.D.
- Cesarean Voices by ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network)
- Herbs, Helps and Pressure Points for Pregnancy and Childbirth by Katherine Tarr
- Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother’s Soul by Canfield & Hansen
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League*
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Ina May Gaskin*
- So That’s What They’re For by Janet Tamaro
- Complete Book of Breastfeeding by Marvin Eiger, M.D. & Sally Wendkos Olds
- New Mother’s Guide to Breastfeeding by American Academy of Pediatrics
- Why Should I Nurse My Baby? by Pamela Wiggins, IBCLC
- Nursing Mother, Working Mother by Gale Pryor
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children’s Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave, M.D.*
- The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears, M.D.*
- A Shot in the Dark by Harris Coulter & Barbara Loe Fisher
- Saying No To Vaccines by Sherri Tenpenny, D.O.
- The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination i$ Not Immunization by Tim O’Shea
- Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective? by Neil Z. Miller
- Just a Little Prick by Peter & Hilary Butler
- Vaccines: What Every Parent Should Know by Paul Offit, M.D. & Louis Bell, M.D.
Circumcision / Genital Integrity Books:
- Doctors Re-examine Circumcision by Thomas Ritter, M.D. & George Denniston, M.D.*
- Circumcision Decision Info Pack: Articles & DVDs by The Whole Network*
- The Joy of Uncircumcising by Jim Bigelow, Ph.D.
- Questioning Circumcision: A Jewish Perspective by Ronald Goldman, Ph.D.
Parenting & Health Books:
- I Love You Rituals by Becky Bailey, Ph.D.
- The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell, M.D.
- How Babies Think by Gopnik, Meltzoff & Kuhl
- The Birth Order Book by Dr. Kevin Leman
- Redirecting Children’s Behavior by Kathryn Kvols
- The Baby Book by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.
- Infant Massage by Vimala Schneider McClure
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler
- Sign With Your Baby by Dr. Joseph Garcia
- The 90-minute Baby Sleep Program by Polly Moore, Ph.D.
- Healthy Child, Whole Child by Stuart Ditchek, M.D. & Russell Greenfield, M.D.
- Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom by Chritiane Northrup, M.D.
- You are Your Child’s First Teacher by Rahima Baldwin
We will watch a DVD in each class, but I have more available if you would like to borrow them, including:
- The Business of Being Born
- More Business of Being Born
- Pregnant in America
- Laboring Under an Illusion by Vicki Elson
- Zero Exposure: A Pregnant Woman Never Takes Risks Alone
- Due Dads
- Visual Guide to Breastfeeding by Jack Newman, M.D.
- Making Enough Milk, The Key to Successful Breastfeeding… Planning for Day One by Jane Morton, M.D.
- In The Womb by National Geographic
- Prenatal Yoga with Jennifer Wolfe
- Penn & Teller: Circumcision
- Circumcision Decision DVD by The Whole Network
- An Inside Look at Cord Blood Registry, The World’s Largest Cord Blood Bank
- It’s My Body, My Baby, My Birth: A Film About Natural Childbirth
- Maya Wrap Babywearing Instructional DVD
- Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Circumcision? Make the Informed Decision
- Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper, R.N.
- Saying No to Vaccines by Sherri Tenpenny, D.O.
- Vaccines: What CDC Documents and Science Reveal by Sherri Tenpenny, D.O.
- Vaccines: The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices by Sherri Tenpenny, D.O.
- Are Vaccines Safe? by Mary Tocco
- Natural Labor Companion: Guided Visualization Relaxation CD by Earth Mama Angel Baby
Interested in another? Just ask – I may have that too!
What are some of YOUR favorite books about pregnancy, birth and parenting?